What is a tech product bet?
A product bet is a simple way to capture a hunch you have about some potential value. These are sometimes used as a precursor to writing an epic user story or a user story. They follow a simple pattern.
What does a product bet look like?
A product bet usually has four components.
- Data: some information you have.
- Insight: a thought you have had about what that data tells you
- Belief: a consideration about how what behaviour this might change
- Bet: an informed guess at what value this might bring.
Here’s an example:
Writing bets is a really good thing to do after having written a product vision, when you are story mapping a new product. It helps bring new ideas to the table, relatively prioritise and get started quickly and effectively.
Want to keep reading?
- Check out other Frequent Product Questions just like this
- Want a better team? Take a look at our Frequent Agile Questions
- Sign up for free training with our FAQs LIVE
- Download our useful factsheets on all things agile