This BCS Foundation Level Certificate in DevOps leaves delegates more confident in five key areas:
- The rationale and benefits of DevOps ways of working
- The culture and mindset required to make DevOps a success
- Roles within DevOps
- Common Practices and Techniques
- Methods and approaches to take when implementing DevOps
Audience, pre-requisites and assumed knowledge
As a DevOps certification foundation-level course there is no assumed knowledge, and it works well with mixed classes of software developers and the business stakeholders that they might interact with. It is also suitable for senior roles responsible for implementing DevOps in the organisation.
Typical attendees include:
- Traditional engineering teams of software engineers, analysts, and testers who are planning to start implementing DevOps
- Established teams that are keen to review their DevOps implementation and refine their approach
- Established or prospective Product Owners and Product Managers
- Cloud infrastructure engineers and automation architects
- DevOps practitioners
When delivered as a private class, the course is pitched at an appropriate level. For example, experienced teams can quickly re-establish the basics and then spend more time considering the detail of their approach.
DevOps arose when we tried to answer the question of how to keep up with the demand for new features and new technologies while maintaining stability and high performance. We needed to balance seemingly competing interests of change versus stability. What we really needed to ask was how could we maximise value to our customers.
We will look at some of the steps which were taken towards defining DevOps as we understand it today, such as Systems Thinking, The 3 -Ways and a review of the CALMS model. We’ll also discuss the contributions made by thought leaders in this field such as Jez Humble, Gene Kim and Toyota.
Changing the culture including the Product versus Project Debate
Culture and mindset are key to any strategy. We discuss how the long-term accountability and focus of a product mentality is crucial to drive a DevOps mindset away from short term ownership to increasing buy-in and motivation. We explore how the product vision can provide this ‘North Star’ for the team when navigating complex situations.
The use of Automation, Lean and the supporting goals and measurement
We will cover how to optimise for team productivity, exploring the benefits of continuous integration, continuous delivery, infrastructure as code, release management and test automation. We review the lean principles and how to reduce waste in software development. We also discuss some of the operational metrics that give us insight and help us adjust our processes such as:
- Cycle Time
- Lead Time
- Continuous Flow
- Mean Time To Restore (MTTR)
- OKRs (Objectives and Key Results)
The Business case for DevOps and how to implement it
Delegates review the evidence of why DevOps is the natural choice for so many high performing organisations. We also explore the culture, roles and structure needed to support DevOps principles. We look at some of the common DevOps practises and how organisations can use a variety of methods and approaches to implement or grow DevOps in their organisation.
BCS Foundation Level Certificate in DevOps Outcomes
By the end of the class delegates know what DevOps is and how to start applying it. They are able to have informed conversations about how to make DevOps work within their organisation, while understanding how to select tools and refine practices that will aid their organisations ability to deliver services and applications more effectively. Delegates who successfully complete the BCS Foundation Level Certificate in DevOps examination gain an industry-recognised DevOps certification demonstrating their knowledge and highlight their career progression.
We can offer BCS Foundation Level Certificate in DevOps training as a private Live Virtual Classroom for distributed teams. For more information on what we can do for you and your organisation, please enquire.
Private team training
The Agility in Mind Approach
We are a friendly team of practitioners and we like to provide a personal level of support, before, during and after the class:
- Pre-course reading designed exposes questions and explored in class
- Contact details allowing delegates to ask questions to the trainer before and after the class
- Access to a comprehensive set of guidance after the course so that delegates apply what they’ve learnt
- Digital course effectiveness surveys with results sent out to delegates and sponsors straight after the class