This course is designed to leave delegates more confident in five key areas:
- Defining projects in Jira for Scrum and Kanban.
- High-level planning and analysis using product backlogs and work items.
- Short term planning and task breakdown.
- Understanding how Jira supports forecasting, reporting and dashboards.
- Using Jira with multiple teams.
Teams will log into their accounts and learn the basics of Jira by creating a new project. The fundamentals of Scrum and Kanban will be defined, and their corresponding Jira templates will be discovered.
Scrum in Jira: Confluence integration, backlogs, sprint boards
Teams will simulate kicking off and building a new product using the scrum framework:
- Creating a vision in Confluence and linking it to the Jira project.
- Using product initiation workshops to create a product backlog.
- Creating a sprint.
- Estimating how many items may be delivered by doing a full task breakdown.
- Running a sprint using the Scrum board to co-ordinate their activities.
Managing the Product Backlog: Task types, fields, multiple sprints and dashboards
Teams will learn how to use Jira to co-ordinate their analysis activities during Scrum delivery by creating a rolling backlog projection and managing their backlog refinement activities with the right fields. We’ll then see how to use Jira to establish an empirical approach to sprint planning and forecasting, creating a dashboard to maintain visibility.
Release planning: Jira versions, story points, report types, and dependencies
Teams will create a release plan and explore tools to track forecast delivery dates such as story point estimation, velocity, release reports, and burnup charts. Dependencies and other relationships between items will be tracked.
Kanban: using Jira Kanban templates, creating boards, advanced filters and queries
Teams will create a new project to handle a flow of work that doesn’t fit the Scrum template, instead using the Kanban template to model and support their process. Teams will learn how to use Jira to apply the five principles of Kanban:
- Make work visible: create a bespoke Kanban board based on simple filters or advanced JQL queries.
- Limit work in progress: apply minimum and maximum board limits.
- Help work flow: create exist criteria in confluence and apply Jira flags to highlight blockers.
- Use metrics to measure work: understand the control chart and cumulative flow diagrams.
- Continuous improvement: highlight the supporting role Jira plays in helping teams take control.
Agile at scale: Programme Kanban boards, multiple teams, simultaneous sprints
Worked examples of enterprise-scale agile delivery will be described, and practical solutions for establishing a pipeline of major enhancements that are progressed through to teams in large technology departments. The final exercise allows delegates to design and create multiple Jira projects to support their whole department’s flow of work.
Jira for Agile Teams Outcomes
Delegates will leave the course having directly applied all of the skills required to use Jira effectively, and will have an awareness of many of the common traps to be avoided. Delegates will know how to get started with all of the techniques needed to use Jira to support effective planning and execution of agile work.
As an introduction-level course there is no assumed knowledge of Jira, and it can work well for teams that are new to agile or teams that are already experienced in this way of working . Typical attendees include:
Software development teams who use Scrum or Kanban, and are about to start using Jira.Teams that already use Jira but want to get more out of it.
Teams that are not building software, but are providing other services including support, integration, or analysis.
There are a wide range of adaptations that can be made to this class to ensure that the learning is focused and relevant. Examples of adaptations available are:
Combining the course with our Introduction to Scrum or Effective use of Kanban classes: great for teams that are new to Jira as well as being new to agile ways of working.
Focused courses that only cover the workflows intended to be used by the team.
We are a friendly team of practitioners and we like to provide a personal level of support, before, during and after the class:
- Pre-course reading designed to expose questions so that they can be explored in class.
- Contact details allowing delegates to ask questions to the trainer before and after the class.
- Access to a comprehensive set of guidance after the course so that delegates apply what has been learnt.
- Digital course effectiveness surveys with results sent out to delegates and sponsors straight after the class.
Location: Online / Private training
Course Level: beginner
- Access to Agility in Mind Academy
- Pre-course reading
- Post course reading
- Trainers contact information
Agility in Mind is a great training experience for me. I am very thankful for all the support provided during the course and all the useful information for my successful exam preparation and passing the exam. The constant support, open communication, site useful content, structured trainings are definitely great ingredients for …
The Live Virtual Classroom was easy to use and has a lot of fun functionality to make the course interesting and interactive for participants
The trainer delivered a 2-day-long Professional Scrum Product Owner course as a live virtual class to me and a group of colleagues and he did an absolutely amazing job. The course was full of great, eye-opening thoughts that put a lot of things in perspective and a lot of great practices that are actually useful in our day-to-da…
We had a lot of open discussions and had great, interactive group activities. The trainer not only managed to deliver in a virtual environment but actually took it to the next level, like using a graphic tablet to underline or circle in key phrases on a slide live. Seems like a small thing, but it actually gives a lot of value
Everything was good, she has organized everything and the session was consist of good materials, slides and team working tools which kept us focused on the session. Her communication is excellent and had a good presentation and good delivery. I learnt alot and enjoyed this traninng, Thank you!
it is my first online class, but the tool like Mural is very helpful for team discussion, very effective as online class
Well paced and good timings. Good, clear delivery from the trainer with a good use of tools and slides available. Core content covered well and good linkage with our organisation/field of work