The SAFe® Scrum Master course concentrates on how a scrum master operates in the context of a larger organisation, including the important role that they have to play in the context of programme level events, such as programme increment planning. The delegates will also be given techniques to help build high performing teams so that they can deliver maximum business value.
This Scaled Agile Framework certified class prepares the delegates to take the associated exam and become a SAFe 5 Scrum Master (SSM). At the end of the course the delegates will be sent the materials necessary to take the online exam, including copies of the slides, a study guide and access to the practice exam.
This course is designed so that delegates will be able to:
- Understand how Scrum operates in an organisation using SAFe.
- Run Scrum events in an organisation using SAFe.
- Support key programme events that will enable successful programme delivery.
- Coach teams and support relentless improvement.
- Understand DevOps and support its use to implement continuous delivery.
Introducing Scrum in SAFe
This lesson covers the basics of Scrum and of agile development concepts. It then discusses how an agile team, such as a team using Scrum, fits into the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), with particular reference to how it operates within an agile release train (a team of agile teams).
Characterising the role of Scrum Master
This lesson explores the characteristics required to be an effective scrum masters in an organisation that uses SAFe. It covers the responsibilities of the role, plus techniques to build high performing teams, facilitate team events, coaching team members and resolve team conflicts. It also includes sections on collaborating with other teams.
Experiencing Programme Increment Planning
In this lesson there is a simulation of a programme increment (PI) planning event; giving a flavour of how this key event works and the outputs. It specifically covers the scrum master’s role in making the PI planning event run smoothly and deliver the PI planning outputs.
As part of the preparation for PI planning, this lesson discuss the steps and techniques to get the items on the team’s backlog ready. This includes splitting larger items into user stories, how to add acceptance criteria, and estimating story size using story points.
Facilitating Iteration execution
This lesson looks through the main Scrum events and sets them in the context of an organisation that uses SAFe. The lesson covers iteration planning, iteration review, retrospectives and story refinements. It also includes how the team can support DevOps and release on demand.
Finishing the PI
This lesson discusses the innovation and planning (IP) iteration, where the current programme increment is reviewed and the next one is planned. The review is part of an ‘inspect and adapt’ workshop. This lesson includes coaching the team and preparing them for this workshop.
Becoming a SAFe Scrum Master
The final lesson covers the SAFe community platform, how it is accessed and how to prepare for the SAFe 5 Scrum Master examination.
SAFe Scrum Master Course Outcomes
Delegates will leave with a comprehensive understanding of their role in helping their scrum team take an active part in delivering business value, as part of an agile release train. They will understand the different teams that they will interact with and how to work collaboratively with them. They will learn tips on how to coach their team to be collaborative and to deliver the programme objectives. They will also become eligible to sit the SAFe 5 Scrum Master examination.
There are no specific pre-requisites for this course. Those intending on taking the SAFe 5 Scrum Master exam will benefit from having an understanding of the basics of software engineering, some experience of agile concepts and principles, and some awareness of Scrum, Kanban and eXtreme Programming. Typical attendees include:
- New scrum masters
- Experienced scrum masters looking to understand how Scrum is used in an organisation using SAFe
- Agile coaches and release train engineers who will be coaching scrum masters in an organisation using SAFe
- Team leads who will be working with scrum masters in an organisation using SAFe
When delivered as a private class, the course may be adjusted to spend more time on the topics most relevant to the organisation, whilst still covering the overall syllabus.
We are a friendly team of practitioners and we like to provide a personal level of support, before, during and after the class:
- Pre-course reading designed to expose questions so that they can be explored in class.
- Contact details allowing delegates to ask questions to the trainer before and after the class.
- Access to a comprehensive set of guidance after the course so that delegates can apply what has been learnt.
- Digital course effectiveness surveys with results sent out to delegates and sponsors straight after the class.
Duration: 2 days
- Access to Agility in Mind Academy
- Pre-course reading
- Post course reading
- Practise questions
- Trainers contact information
- SAFe Scrum Master certification exam
Ability to keep the momentum going and keep people focused and motivated throughout the course. Very empathetic. Great trainer.
Brian has a deep knowledge of the course content and of the Scaled Agile methodology. His ability to explain all topics with simple and direct examples is really helpful.